• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Anybody interested in doing a fast?

Changed

Bluelight Crew
I've been indulging on all the sugar-laden shit of the holidays for the past three weeks... I need to cleanse my body of all this garbage with a water fast. I will probably be starting some time next week. I'll probably be doing a ten day water fast.

Is anybody interested in digitally partaking in this adventure? We can provide each other with support or what-have-you... :)

Is a ten-day water fast... okay?
I wouldn't want to go that long without my beloved fewdz.
Probably two days at the most 8)

Fasting does sound like something I might like to try sometime, but not that extreme.

sounds like something you'd want to do under the guidance of a professional.

your body has a built in cleansing system. its call your liver. you don't need to starve yourself to remove wastes that you think have built up in your system.

even if you do have some kind of wastes built up in your system (unlikely unless you are suffering some kind of liver disease) then the best way to tune up your body is with vigorous exercise, plenty of water, and good amounts of fiber.

here's a good article on fasting SAFELY and effectively http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/id/QAA400178

notice how Dr Weil flipped his position from one of his books where he was promoting a weekly fast, he no longer does that. aanallein is also right, starving yourself will be more detrimental than helpful. the best way to cleanse is to get the kind of fibre that will help you shit out the garbage better and to drink diuretic teas and exercise since those will help clean out the lymph system which purifies the blood which is where inner cleanliness STARTS and people often overlook how important that is.

oh yeah, another quick way to help clear your lymph system if you're busy at work or whatever is to just shake out your limbs hard for ten or fifteen seconds. a doctor once told me that tingling you feel in them afterwards is the lymph nodes getting active %)

Last edited:
http://www.mastercleanser.com/forum/

Do the master cleanse. It's as effective as a water fast, but you're getting some energy, nutrients, and a boost in cleansing (cayenne pepper, laxative tea is involved)

Do as much research on the Master Cleanse as you can.

Wow, I really didn't expect this kind of response.

I've done a 21 day "Master Cleanse" before. Felt great.

One can safely do a month-long water-only fast. It is NOT starving yourself. Without the interruption of digestion, the body and brain are free to work amazingly efficiently. Even a one day water-only fast does wonders for my memory and general mental health.

I guess I'll be doing this on my own, but maybe you guys can flame me for a week to keep things entertaining?

i'm not flaming you I just don't see any thing good about "cleansing". I think its designed to trick people into doing things they wouldn't do otherwise and avoid actually doing the stuff that you need to do to get in good health (like work out, drink lots of water, and eat lots of fiber, the cornerstones of a healthy lifestyle).

your body has 4 billion years of evolution behind it. it is a system designed to remove toxins. why would depriving it of nutrition for long periods be beneficial? it makes no sense. why would any of these fasts have any beneficial properties?

the only thing I've seen legitimate science behind is smaller portions and skipping meals once in awhile. lower caloric intake has been shown to increase longevity. but that doesn't mean going more than 8 hrs without food is good.

I say go for it!
i think it is a great idea and i know many people that have done it, with good results.

i'm not flaming you I just don't see any thing good about "cleansing". I think its designed to trick people into doing things they wouldn't do otherwise and avoid actually doing the stuff that you need to do to get in good health (like work out, drink lots of water, and eat lots of fiber, the cornerstones of a healthy lifestyle).

I don't think you understand my motives for fasting. I eat a vegetarian diet, full of fiber. I drink water and tea throughout the day. I run ~15 miles a week and do body weight exercises daily. Over this Christmas break, I've gotten away from my healthy lifestyle, and fasting is a great way to get back into it.

your body has 4 billion years of evolution behind it. it is a system designed to remove toxins. why would depriving it of nutrition for long periods be beneficial? it makes no sense. why would any of these fasts have any beneficial properties?
fasting has been done for thousands of years (if not more) for the positive health benefits. you can educate yourself here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fasting#Religious_fasting

i remember a thread about fasting getting flamed a while ago. people with no real knowledge saying how stupid it was and such. i say go for it, you already have experience so why not. ive always wanted to do a fast but i have hypoglycemia and when my blood sugar drops i tend to black out. do you know anything about the safety of being hypoglycemic and fasting?

unless you are a dietary scientist / biologist with a PhD and years of research, anybody can accuse you of "not knowing anything". let's be realistic, reading Wikipedia and other articles about the history of fasting and the assumed, contrived, or anecdotal evidence does not make you an expert on the subject.

all internet discussion about nearly anything where 2 people have 2 different viewpoints basically amount to 1 person saying the other person needs to educate themself on the matter. why don't you educate me? instead of linking it to religious reasons (which mean nothing), how about you show me some scientific studies backing up your argument that fasting is good for health? the burden of evidence is on you. I cannot prove that fasting does nothing. you cannot prove a negative. quote me some scientific evidence and double blind studies showing health improvement from either fasting or cleanses and I might be inclined to change my opinion on the matter. i'm not an asshole and i'm not here to argue senselessly. i've never seen an iota of evidence to suggest cleanses are good for you but i've seen a LOT of product marketing aimed at consumers. that doesn't sit well with me.

aside from the fact that your link supports what I have said - prolonged fasting (more than 24 hrs) has been shown to have negative effects while intermittent fasting and short term calorie restriction has been shown to have positive effects on lipid profiles, insulin resistance, and longevity.

Over this Christmas break, I've gotten away from my healthy lifestyle, and fasting is a great way to get back into it.

7 days of living well (eating wisely, hydrating, and working out 5 days a week) works better for me than fasting to get back into my healthy lifestyle.

unless you are a dietary scientist / biologist with a PhD and years of research, anybody can accuse you of "not knowing anything". let's be realistic, reading Wikipedia and other articles about the history of fasting and the assumed, contrived, or anecdotal evidence does not make you an expert on the subject.

all internet discussion about nearly anything where 2 people have 2 different viewpoints basically amount to 1 person saying the other person needs to educate themself on the matter. why don't you educate me? instead of linking it to religious reasons (which mean nothing), how about you show me some scientific studies backing up your argument that fasting is good for health? the burden of evidence is on you. I cannot prove that fasting does nothing. you cannot prove a negative. quote me some scientific evidence and double blind studies showing health improvement from either fasting or cleanses and I might be inclined to change my opinion on the matter. i'm not an asshole and i'm not here to argue senselessly. i've never seen an iota of evidence to suggest cleanses are good for you but i've seen a LOT of product marketing aimed at consumers. that doesn't sit well with me.

aside from the fact that your link supports what I have said - prolonged fasting (more than 24 hrs) has been shown to have negative effects while intermittent fasting and short term calorie restriction has been shown to have positive effects on lipid profiles, insulin resistance, and longevity.

must be you missed the part where I said I've fasted for up to 21 days before (and felt great).

have you ever fasted before?

that goes for every single person in this thread that is putting fasting down: have you actually done it before?

my guess is, 99% of you haven't.

and you missed the part where i said anecdotal evidence.

i hear ecstasy makes you feel great too. are you a scientist? do you know how those 21 days of no nutrients effected your biology? or are you just going on feelings?

I guess it is illogical to do things that feel good to your body.

before you make another troll-y post in this thread, I urge you to try fasting. Otherwise, your input is bunk.

23wfah.jpg